Selasa, 15 Maret 2011

Great camera, buy batteries.

Canon PowerShot Digital Stabilized Wide Angle

Canon PowerShot Digital Stabilized Wide Angle

I have owned cameras in the PowerShot line as well as DSLRs. I purchased this camera to replace an aging PowerShot for everyday use for my family.

The camera as a basic photo box is rather nice. Relative to other point-and-shoot cameras I have owned it is amazing. Relative to my current DSLR tht cost nearly 10x as much it is a bit grainy, but it is on par with my old DSLR from seven years ago. If you just want to point and shoot it does a great job of that.

The camera is in the SX family meaning extended zoom, which it does very well. It has a maximum zoom of 500mm equivalent @ f/6.8. That is a pretty reasonable f-stop at deep zoom, especially when comparing the costs. For comparison, the off-brand Sigma DSLR lens for Canon cameras that reaches 500mm @ f/6.3 costs just over $1000, or much more for on-brand lenses.The picture quality isn't as good as my $3500 DSLR+Lens setup for deep telephoto, but the results are still more than adequate for using on the web professionally.

The camera is full featured. The GPS and auto-tagging is nice for camping and backpacking, or whatever form of travel you are in to. My teens love some of the features like auto-detecting when everyone is smiling and automatically taking a picture, the wink-to-self-timer, and the miniatures mode. Sunsets and flowers look incredible when 'extra vivid' is turned on. It is a good thing it includes all those features because it doesn't have raw data files, which is something I am used to with my DSLRs.

Now the down side.

Canon chose a tiny battery to fit in the tiny case. From an aesthetic viewpoint this makes sense. They want it small, lightweight, travel size. They want it to fit in a pocket.

However, considering the primary use as a travel and camping camera this makes much less sense. Yes, the camera must be conveniently small, but not by sacrificing usability. Recording video goes from a fully charged fresh battery to the camera powering off in about 30 minutes. Leaving the camera on while you walk a trail and take photos gives you slightly more than one hour of battery life.

If you are going camping or backpacking or traveling without a battery charger, plan on going through at least one battery pack per day, possibly more. The battery packs are not very expensive (relatively) which is a good thing because you'll need them.

Get your Canon PowerShot Digital Stabilized Wide Angle Now!

4 komentar:

  1. I'm looking for a good digital camera with a decent battery life to use for a concert. It will need to shoot nice pictures/videos in low light, and have a good sound quality. The seats at the concert are on the floor, if that helps. I have been searching for quite awhile, but I've been unsuccessful in finding one that fits these standards. Please help! Thanks.

    BalasHapus
  2. I've gone through a canon powershot 720 and a coolpix one that took pretty good outdoor but horrible indoor quality. The canon was good, but it took a lot of effort to get a decent picture. I just want something where I can zoom in and take good clear pictures. Anything for under $400 that I could get. Any ideas? Thanks!

    BalasHapus
  3. So Im looking for a digital camera. I saw that canon powershot that has this awesome application where you can make a pic black and white all except one colored item that pops out, but I'm not sure if that is good or not. But I feel like in the past I go to the store to check them out then a salesperson talks me into a camera.... then I usually hate it. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

    BalasHapus
  4. I am looking at a Canon PowerShot D10 12.1 MP Waterproof Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD or a Olympus Stylus Tough-8000 12 MP Digital Camera with 3.6x Wide Angle Optical Dual Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7-Inch LCD (Black). Which one should I get? Thank you!

    BalasHapus